With zucchini in full blown season, its on sale everywhere you turn around. And since we follow a mostly low-carb diet, we eat a LOT of zucchini. Its really versatile. Much like cauliflower, you squeeze the water out of it if you’re using it in a grated form and it holds quite nicely.
After a few months of our new eating routine last year, I noticed I was getting bored with our side dishes. I had pretty much got the low carb “main dish” thing down but we were eating a LOT of boring salads and steamed veggies. So now, oftentimes, I find ways to dress up our veggies to go with our protein.
Enter tonight’s zucchini bake!
I read a couple different recipes out there and then made it my own. You can make it with or without a breadcrumb topping, depending on how you like it. I’m putting 1/4 c in the recipe if you choose to use it, but for my own tonight, I went for a compromise and just used about 2 TB.
It even has some protein in it since there are eggs involved! You can make it in a small casserole dish, but if you choose a bigger dish (like an 8×8) it would probably cook faster. Mine took too long and the littles (and the bigs) were getting HUNGRY!
3 small/medium or 2 large zucchini, grated in a food processor
1 TB of butter or coconut oil
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
Whole wheat breadcrumbs, if desired (anywhere up to 1/4 cup)
1/4 c of parmesan, shredded mozzarella or a combination of the two
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Use your butter or coconut oil to grease all sides of your baking dish.
- Take your grated zucchini and wring it out with your hands to get out excess water.
- Combine zucchini, eggs, salt and pepper and mix well. Spread into baking dish.
- Top with your cheese and breadcrumbs, if desired.
- Cover with foil and bake 20-30 minutes, until “puffed up”.
- Remove foil cover and bake another 15 minutes until brown. Make sure its cooked all the way (no runny eggs) when you pull it out!